View Single Post
      02-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #35
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
After graduation, I applied to maybe 8 places and got 5 interviews and 3 offers. Prior to college I did have several years of military experience too, which helped, but I regularly give talks on this topic to other veterans doing the same thing putting out 100s of applications with few calls back. The military experience is hardly a blip and often has no relevant technical skills that translate over, so it gets discarded / ignored anyway by recruiters.
OK so first, thank you for you service to our great nation.

I actually really like seeing military service on a resume. Maybe I've got a soft-spot for GIs but to me it says a candidate works hard, is disciplined, understands and respects the chain of command, is scrappy, and understands sacrifice. After all, they volunteered to serve! So yeah, perhaps a recruit's ability to repair a Blackhawk helicopter in a 120 degree sandstorm doesnt translate directly to the role I have but damn, if they can do THAT, they can do pretty much any job and stay calm. Unlike these entitled trust-fund grads for whom the biggest hardship was an 8:00 AM class across campus, who break down in tears because I didnt promote them for doing the bare minimum.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34192.50