06-19-2021, 11:18 PM   #126
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post

The specific explanation starts at 1:45
zero toe gives more straight speed. Less scrub on the tyre patch.
and, zero toe also makes the car front narrower. better aero.

But indeed, not racing 101 but racing 102.

In the end changing the toe can also be used to get extra heat in the tyres at specific patches which can be important in braking and cornering (but of course that takes energy, thus less speed)
Obviously you're not going to set up a racecar with 0deg toe if you dont have DAS, so maybe you're confused by that with your racing 101 booklet.
You can also clearly see in the video that when entering the straight he pulls the steering wheel. Pulling on the wheel decreases toe out. (you can see both happening in the video at 0:11 when he starts his run on the straight)
Zero toe on the straight gives the least rolling resistance (=better top speed), the least aero drag (=better top speed) and the least tyre wear.

But it all doesn't matter, we've seen that HAM couldn't pass PER time after time on the very long straights of Baku despite having DRS every time.
So they've lost top speed. Coincidentally with their DAS system....
All the specific benefits MERC seemed to have over their competition in the last 2 years (top speed while able to corner fast and very little tyre wear) are also benefits that the DAS system can enhance.
again.. can i have a video in a "hot lap" for supporting your theory?
i was trying to emphasize hot lap somehow above as well but it didnt work..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
the banning of DAS systems dont effect all cars, just mercedes.

All the other rule changes apply to all cars.
Of course different teams adapt with different succes to those changes.
But it's strange that MERC had more trouble adapting to rule changes.
First of all because the changes are very small compared to other years because the chassis have been carried over to this year, and secondly MERC used to be the team that was most ahead of other teams at the beginning of the season.
So they had the least trouble getting their car fast early in the season.
Now thats different.
Maybe MERC is better in developping a completely new chassis than evolving an existing chassis (which is more the case this year)
Or maybe losing DAS has lost them the edge.
because Merc's low-rake design was more depended on the floor patch.. high-rake cars affected as well since floor got smaller but very small amount since their design included the whole bottom of the car more aggressively for creating low pressure..

i ll paste the link below and i believe you ll still say it was the DAS made Merc' lose 1.5 seconds at the very same track comparing to last year..

Lewis Hamilton 2020 quali time.. 1:28.319..
Lewis Hamilton 2021 quali time.. 1:30.248..

Max Verstappen 2020 quali time.. 1:29.409..
Max Verstappen 2021 quali time.. 1:29.990..

https://www.formula1.com/en/results....ualifying.html ..

as you can see Merc' lost 1.5 seconds.. RB lost 0.5 at the very same track.. deficit is 1 second.. its not strange its physics..

if you want to close your eyes to these facts, im sorry i dont believe the earth is flat as well..

cheers..
inTgr8r2434.50