10-15-2021, 01:03 PM   #35
JCLBoston
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
I agree charging is a real thing for most people.

I installed a L2 station when we got a 500e for my daughter years ago. I also upgraded to 200 amp service. I'll probably install another L2 station where the M50 will be parked.

if you are already driving a recently produced car;. there is absolutely no reason to trade that car for an i4. It makes no sense. The carbon footprint for the ICE is already a sunk cost and it will take burning a lot of fast to offset the carbon footprint of an EV swap. The time to buy an EV is when you need to buy a new car.

That being said. I dropped the money on a pre-order because my 335i was 13 years old. Funny enough, I'm waiting for an insurance payout on that car. I had no idea it was going to be involved with something that caused a total loss. So I actually NEED a vehicle. I can wait for this car to arrive because I no longer have a.commute.

As far as the i4 and technology as some people are talking about. The i4 has plenty of modern tech and ADAS. BMW isn't marketing things they don't have.
I know there are some Tesla owners here but as someone that worked on autonomous systems for different companies, I know what's under the hood and in the box.

Tesla reliance on camera only has some serious limitations.

For example BMW and others use Lidar or Radar for active cruise control. With vision only you cannot accurately determine acceleration/deceleration rates.
We can argue that two cameras and using image differences and parallax can get you there with AI. Not as accurate. You are also not able to accurately determine distance. You can get a.good approximation but as distance increases accuracy decreases. With Lidar/Radar I can accurately measure distance, relative speed and rate of acceleration.
With that information I can rely on active cruise and the car can respond in a way a vision only system can't

For those that don't agree that's fine but Tesla's FSD and auto pilot are flawed and possibly dangerous due to the buyers misunderstanding of what the system is.

I'm not a fan of the marketing hype and for that reason but there are many, I'm an anything but Tesla EV person.
Agreed. Going Vision only is very questionable, which may or may not come back to bite them in the ass big time later on. Personally, I only use autopilot very sparingly.. typically only a few moments here or there when I need to take my eyes off the road and fiddle around with the darn screen for something because there are no buttons.