View Single Post
      03-23-2022, 07:12 AM   #1
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Charging, battery damage and capacity

Lately there has been a lot of talks in media in Norway regarding "how not to break your EV battery".

One of the things is that you should keep your charge between 20% and 80%, and preferably not charge to 100%.

That fast charging will wear on the battery due to a lot of energy being pushed into the battery in a short time.

Preferably charge on a warm battery after driving rather than on a cold battery later on.

While a lot of this sounds right, some things are not possible to control on the i3.

The i3 has no setting for stopping the charge at 80%, I'm not going to get out of bed to stop the charge in the middle of the night, so the best I can do is set my wallbox to stop charging at a set time based on the charge the battery had when charging started.
Essentially, BMW has not given us this option, or is the battery at 100% when the charge say 100%, I know we don't have access to the whole battery capacity on these cars, a built in "safety" from BMW?

Fast charging, I have never done that as I have a 11KW home charger I have never been in a situation where I have used a public or 50KW fast charger. That said, 50KW is not that fast, as new EV's typically charge between 100-150KW.
Maybe there is a "safety" built in from BMW with the "small" 50KW charger?

Charge when warm, well, I have a heated garage so I'm good on that.

Question.
Has anyone with an older i3 had the battery capacity checked, and how good/bad was it?
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 0