05-10-2022, 09:47 AM   #137
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post

20 minutes in most supercharger stations gets you more like 150-250 miles.

I guess you can say what you want about gas stations but for most EV owners who charge at home, they have to wait ~15 minutes longer a few times a year, but 98% of the time I never have to wait. I don't see how this point can be argued, it just comes down to math. When you charge at home you will be less inconvenienced many times over compared to a normal gas commuter car. Anyway, this isn't a real point that should be discussed or be a selling point either way, at this point you either are open to EV's or you are not and some people have inherent bias towards them.
I'm not against EV, but I'm also not 100% for EV.

I have considered EV for a daily, particularly for the girlfriend. She would be able to charge at home and rarely ever goes more than 150 miles from home. For her it could make sense considering she would rarely, if ever, have to worry about finding a charging station. BUT, even after doing the math it would still cost her more than her current gas powered car simply because the cost of a quality EV. Maybe if something happens and she has no option other than getting a new vehicle we will look at them.

For me, EV does not make sense. The need to tow, the times I am in the sticks and far from anyplace that has charging stations for multiple days, long trips sometimes through the middle of nowhere. Even with the availability of charging stations along routes it adds considerable time to a 1000+ mile road trip. I get 600 miles to a tank, I dont have to stop often.

I think EV has is place and has been getting much better as far as affordability, but I also think they have a ways to go still to be a good option for your average household. Longer lasting batteries, cheaper replacement costs, etc. Those things may not be much of a concern to the majority of folks on these forums and their bank accounts, but for median income families it's still a big concern.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 1
kyriian890.50