View Single Post
      05-30-2023, 06:21 PM   #2
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
My 2015 needs occasional manual braking when approaching stopped cars at a red light when doing highway speeds. I also enabled TJA, and don't trust it to do the steering for longer than a few seconds while opening a water bottle to take a sip. Definitely not ready for prime time.

Since the ACC is 100% camera-based with no radar, it turns itself off when the sun is low such as around sunrise/sunset and during winter months. It is also sensitive to having the windshield clean in front of the camera, and don't even think about spraying the washer fluid most days.

The best ACC advice that I can give is to learn the steering wheel button that you must hold for ~5 seconds to disable ACC and enable "dumb" cruise control. (On my car with TJA enabled, it is the top right button on the left side of the steering wheel.)

FWIW, the radar-only ACC system being used in some Mercedes vehicles even in 2023 models has a nuisance feature where it disables itself until the next engine start if the radar doesn't detect a vehicle in something like half an hour. People driving out in desolate areas of the western USA curse that feature out, and nobody has found a way to make the system go into "dumb" cruise mode.....