View Single Post
      09-22-2023, 11:26 AM   #103
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pete View Post
It’s that stat I keep thinking about, 103 poles, 103 wins. This is why, imo, I can’t put him in that top 5 of all time list. As good of a driver Lewis is, numbers don’t lie, he absolutely needs the fastest car to finish a race P1. We’ve seen some good driving from him this year in some races, I’ll give him that.

And Im not a Max fanboy. Well maybe a little haha but I appreciate supremely skilled racers who show otherworldly type skill when I watch them race. I wish I would have been able to watch Fangio in his prime, that would have been amazing.

Ok, back on topic. Go Lando!!!
Yes, that is exactly it but only tells part of the story. The car was 1 second clear just in quali than EVERY other car. I'm sure it was 30 hp more too which is why MB had the engine regs frozen. They knew that was the advantage and without it they might not be so good. As I previously said, it's like one team having a GT2 RS and everyone else is in a base 911 - you dont need to be a good driver to win when it's that stacked and that's exactly how it played out until 2021 when Max simply made the most of what was still a weaker car.

Max on the other hand only has 27 poles and 47 wins which tells me he cut through a field to win without having to start from the front with a teammate in P2 to play his lackey and hold everyone up or hold P1 for him to invert.
Appreciate 4
Mr Pete1620.00
M5Rick61832.50
GuidoK11118.00