VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
I'll admit to being surprised when after buying my iX and learning that BMW sets the maximum charge to 80%. They even talk about the 80/20 recommendation in the manual. I know this has been discussed in the forum, but I think there are other angles and issues with this.

First - BMW should admit to this at the point of sale and even put it on the sticker. Yes, most EV makers have the same issue, but BMW could have used a larger battery to add more buffer.

The real problem with this is in frozen Minnesota. We are in the 40s in the morning now and I am seeing the range drop. That was to be expected, I figured a 30% dropoff for range as we get to 20 and below. Saw this with my EV6.

But when I do the math, it becomes concerning for real use of the iX.

I normally would get around 310 miles on a full charge here (100%). In the winter that drops down to around 217. The 80/20 recommendation allows me 60% of that or 130 miles.

130 miles isn't much. Yes I can commute, but many other things I do in a day go over that. It also keeps the iX pretty close to home since the charging infrastructure isn't great outside of metro areas.

Seems that BMW needs to be more honest about this. At least tell me the projected degration of using 100% of the battery.

Sorry for the rant, but the colder weather had me doing math. Starting to think it may be best to go back to the ICE X5.
I’m trying to understand what you’re saying. This is nothing specific to the BMW, but it’s always best to charge the batteries to about 80% to manage the performance and capacity over the life of the battery. Most dealerships I have dealt with won’t even let the vehicle leave unless it’s charged to 100% including service appointments. You can change this from the My BMW app or from the vehicle whenever you want.

Personally, I charge mine to 80% unless I’m going out of town and don’t even bother plugging it in until it gets down to at least 20%.
Appreciate 2