View Single Post
      11-28-2023, 05:43 PM   #8
OtoPA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 F150, 23 M4, JD3038E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrum View Post
I was planning to do a manual switch. Reasons being I am in a residential area with my neighbors super close in physical proximity, plus with the concrete already laid around my house I don't know how financially feasible it would be to wire in a permanent generator. i have natural gas plumbed to my house, but I hear even that you have to make sure it is rated for your generator and may have to upgrade that as well.

My circuit breaker board is in the garage for those that have asked. This is a ~3k sq ft house, I'm most concerned with fridge/freezers, tankless water heater, electric/gas fireplace and hvac. I would like to add some additional wall outlets in the garage, if nothing else convert 2 plug outlets to 4 plug.

The plan so far was to maybe buy a Honda gas powered portable generator to leave in my garage, select the few appliances I want to power on the breaker panel, and during a power outage plumb the exhaust gasses out the bottom of a cracked garage door.
We've a 44kw whole house Generac attached to 500 gal propane tank. Pad, minus the tank, is about 2x3 ft. Might your NG supply go down as well for a SHTF (tornado, wildfire, whatever) situation? We have an auto-transfer switch, as power never conveniently goes out when you're home. Surge is placed on pole next to transfer. Last winter during ice storm and aftermath, generator ran non-stop for about 100 hrs.
Appreciate 0