View Single Post
      01-16-2024, 01:49 PM   #39
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport Touring, Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
It wasn't all about the power for me. I wanted the AWD and also Merino leather where you have the Ivory white leather but still have the black dash. In the UK you can't option either with the 40.

Also, in terms of price, if you spec up a 40 so its fully loaded, you're not far off. If I get as close to my spec as possible, it's about 8% more on the list price.

That compares to the base models with no options where it's:
  • 40 Sport to m50 = 23% more
  • 40 M Sport to m50 = 20% more
Exactly - the M50 has more kit, and to me it feels like the car as it was designed to be.. The 40 feels like an M50 with bits removed in order to create a lower cost offering.

Anyway, add the M50 kit to the 40 (not sure if you can even add air and adaptive damping to the 40??) and you're so close to the M50 price you might as well have the extra power and AWD and just buy the M50.

I don't think the relatively small real world range difference is all that important. Most drivers very rarely exceed the range of either car between home charging sessions. Most of the drivers that DO frequently exceed the range of the 50 will also likely exceed the range of the 40.. The non Tesla charging networks are improving constantly, I haven't struggled in the UK the last year and I understand the situation in many US States is about the same now. I think I'm at the point now where I will choose the car I like and simply not worry about range. Any EV with ~200miles real world range is good enough now.
Appreciate 1