Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Pretty sad & pathetic the govt needs to run a SB ad calling out companies, waste of my tax dollars. Of course it's cause they have no clue of the reality and the CPI & Inflation numbers are useless when shrinkflation is used to secretly raise the price. Everyone always blaming another, if consumers don't realize the games being played on them, to bad for the idiots, and if they do realize and yet don't adjust their spending then you can't complain. Always funny when people complain but still buy, instead of sending a message and not buying a product.

Just noticed a new shrinkflation, wife bought the big box of the small pringle snack cups, had one, and there's like 3-4 less chips in that cup then there was a year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
There really isn’t any such thing as greedflation unless you are a politician needing to blame others for your policies. All companies always want to raise prices but rarely can because of competitive pressures. Once one makes a move up, all can. Some industries (gasoline retail) this happens fast; others there are significant lags. Over the past 20 years there were many times companies bemoaned the inability to raise prices; once inflation started they all “caught up”.

Shrinkflation is just another implementation of inflation. Generally in consumer products. Consumers may have (or are believed to have) “price points” that cause them to consider substitutes, so rather than raising prices above that point, sellers reduce quantity. This avoids “sticker shock” that was a common issue in the inflation of the 1970s. And again, if no competitor will increase prices but costs are rising, the seller has to reduce size/quantity. Most consumer products have a “price leader” in their category - big enough market share that they can set the price and all others will follow or stay just below. In cars in the US it used to be GM/Chevy, for example. Until they move up, everyone else suffers reduced margins or lowers content.

Sorry to be pedantic, just wanted to clarify this a bit.
Appreciate 0