03-14-2007, 09:46 AM   #73
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry626 View Post
People that find the need to talk $ have Known.
I believe you are looking for the word "None''?

I dunno, I'd like to think that this is the case, that it's simply the bucket-heads that have been reading too much Maxim magazine and NOT as Humor. But as I look around at acquaintances and friends I have had there is a distressing number that truly do identify themselves via the dollar amounts of their toys, home, freaking golf Clubs...

It's consumerism and the lack of any real United States culture I think. It's a desire to be "THAT GUY" without the realization that "THAT GUY" with the Porsche GT, and 23Mil home, ISN'T "THAT GUY".

The friends and family I have that I consider truly set up, heavily invested, and what I would call wealthy, never talk about their income, they may talk about a particular fund doing good or bad, or interest rates or whatever but their own personal income is never a topic, nor should it be topic, it's tasteless. So MONEY isn't taboo, it's personal wealth and personal finances that are taboo.

It's like buying a new watch, doesn't matter what kind, but a nice watch, a Movado. Not too "Bling" cause you're not retarded, but it's pretty. We all know that guy, who's first question will be "How Much?" WTF? New Car? How Much? etc... Where I work, I am surrounded by retail employees, they live in a "How Much" world. They want to know how much something cost so they can assign a "cool factor" to it. They have little understanding of Quality, performance, design, or art. No, they can only comprehend WORTH or VALUE through $$$$ signs. So HOW MUCH? Is the question ringing through the shops.

It's the same with the "These new King Cobra's cost $3400" my New Merc cost me $77k, on and freaking on... No Idea of the VALUE of a Thing, only the COST of a thing.

Get both groups together and they can worship and Brag and feel special all day.