View Single Post
      10-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #76
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Indoor air quality is far worse than outdoor air quality pretty much anywhere.

I'm fine with people being fine with companies buying political favor. It's more a problem with our system of government than the companies though. The "Monsanto protection act" was an act that allows companies to sell seed even if a court has blocked them. It could be "crony capitialism" (a.k.a. facism) or it could be a foil to prevent companies from having to put everything on hold every time there's a basesless acqusation with the sole intent of keeping things dies up in court indefinitely (guilty until proven innocent).

GMO foods though are simply not inherently bad, just as traditionally modified or organic foods aren't inherently good. Sure...it's possible to develop something that's unhealthy, but they're incentivized not to do that. They've increased yield significantly in the developing world, a few % in the developed world, but while using less inceticide and far less toxic herbicides. The hysteria around this technique is about on par with anti-vaccers and 9-11 truthers and approximates a religious view, except the hytericals are typically far left in this case.

I found the wiki a good read...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic..._controversies
How are they using less pesticides or herbicides when they are modifying food crops to be pesticide and herbicide resistant. The FDA recently doubled the limit on how much glyphosate can be found in your food from 20ppm to 40ppm. The reason for that is pests are becoming resistant to glyphosate from overuse. As a result we have to use even larger amounts. Organic food is grown without the use of pesticides or herbicides.
Appreciate 0