View Single Post
      10-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #83
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
How are they using less pesticides or herbicides when they are modifying food crops to be pesticide and herbicide resistant. The FDA recently doubled the limit on how much glyphosate can be found in your food from 20ppm to 40ppm. The reason for that is pests are becoming resistant to glyphosate from overuse. As a result we have to use even larger amounts. Organic food is grown without the use of pesticides or herbicides.
We established this with the video I'm sure you never watched. The development of glyphosate-resistant (Roundup Ready) plants has changed the herbicide use profile away from the use of more environmentally persistant herbicides with higher toxicity, such as atrazine, metribuzin, and alachlor, and has reduced the dangers of herbicide runoff into drinking water. They do use more roundup now because they're using so much less of that other nasty stuff. Round up isn't exactly healthy, but it's a damn site less harmful to the environmnent than what they were using before.

Pests? glyphosphate is an herbicide- not a pesticide. Yes- after a long enough time of use, weeds will naturally develop the same resistance that we've engineered into some crops, so it's not a forever solution. Hopefully we'll develop something even better and even less harmful in the future.

Organic food DOES use pesticide and herbicide, often in greater quantities than the synthetics used on non-organic crops. We established this when I mentioned your boogie-man "BT" is the most commonly used organic-certified pesticide. This is a good example of why I say you have a "religious view". You stick to your dogma even if you awknowledged the point is false just a page ago.

Last edited by carve; 10-18-2013 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0