View Single Post
      02-27-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I've been doing some eBay selling here and there (enough to get above standard seller rating and 61 feedback), and for sure the answer is - it depends on what you're selling.

For example, electronics such as laptops, computers, phones, VR gear, computer parts (hard drives, SSD, RAM, etc.) usually sell fast. I parted out an entire laptop and every single item sold quickly, usually at my full price (I research the prices of similar items).

Been selling Blu Rays and the popular Disney ones go for good money, but others sit for a while.

The larger/heavier items is where it is more of a challenge. Shipping costs can be prohibitive. Example, I had 2 Mi-Fold car seats that with the shipping box weighed 5lbs. They sat for months, because shipping would be like $20+. I ended up doing free shipping, and they sold for $50 for the set. After eBay fees, PayPal fees, and shipping, I think I got like $20 from that deal.

Fees tend to be close to 20% all said and done, per item. Just factor it in to your pricing. eBay also has a shipping calculator that you can use in advance to determine shipping cost, but you need to be accurate with box dimensions and weight.

I suggest to look on eBay for the similar items like you plan to list, see how they sell and what they are priced at. eBay search can show you "sold" items only, which is a better indication of the actual value of the item(s). All of my listings are Buy It Now - usually eBay gives some promotion for "free listings" which means there is no listing fee, but there is still the 10% fee of the final sale price, the shipping label fee, and the PayPal fee which I think is 3% or 5% maybe?

And yeah, beats the crap out of CL tire kickers. All I do is go to the post office and drop a box (not even wait in line).

Last note, sometimes items you think will sell, end up sitting for a long time. Other times, items you think might never sell get scooped up quickly. I had a scratched billet kickstand from an obscure motorcycle that I listed and it got sold super quick. I was like, wow, someone needed that?!

-dk
Appreciate 0