View Single Post
      09-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #10
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
That is mostly because they charge more for a movie, like $18 at some theater, yes you break records if all you measure is $ verse number of butts in the seats, movies use to be $5 or $6 now $12 to $18, so it take 1/2 to 1/3 of the people to hit a $1B box office. Besides that I was not talking about your typical block buster but the every day movie. There is a group of loyal viewers who go to movies at a theater all the time, but the over group size has been in decline for the last 10 yrs.
but how much are those Prime or Netflix original movies making?

The big money is in the box office, whether you choose to believe it or not, and its not going to change anytime soon.

Yes its $18/ticket to go see a movie, but its $18/ticket every time you want to see that movie until it makes it to dvd/on demand, and then its several $ a time to watch. Its not till it hits the streaming services that it is pennies to watch everytime. The #50 highest domestic grossing movie this year was at $30mill (Longshot, never heard of it). Top 20 all grossed over 100mill.

Compare that to a Netflix or Prime original movie. Its ~$10/month for Netflix and Prime. So when you release a movie exclusive to one of those, more people may see the movie, but you are making pennies per view.

Unless the streaming services start making you pay per movie, its not going to be a big money maker for any movie.

The reason Apple is willing to throw $500 million at abrams isnt because they are going to make a killing off his movies. It is because they are trying to do what no other streaming service has been able to do; get a big name director to exclusively make movies that people will want to watch. They are trying to get into the streaming services market, and have to differentiate themselves from Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Disney, etc.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0