View Single Post
      10-03-2021, 03:18 PM   #207
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
That's the CURRENT rules. If you look at the language of this part of the Green New Deal, there are NEW rules which if this portion is passed in any new legislature, it will be in effect at the time we take delivery. The cutoff for the $7500 is a base sticker price of under $55K and over 40KWH of battery. There is another $4500 to be had if built in a USA union factory (which I think there is no car that meets this except maybe the Bolt, Mach-e is made in Mexico).
I have not read the proposed legislation, but this is a simple product planning fix if as above (been there/done that for another car company). First, they find something worth $1,395 that is standard and relegate to an option. That gets the car back to $55k base. That option becomes mandatory if ANY other content is ordered above base such that you'll never find a true base car in inventory, although it does have to remain orderable for the handful that might happen, so as not to run afoul of the FTC. So, they have to find something for $1,395 retail that the plant can eliminate without too much hassle for a new base condition...maybe use a different and cheaper (and less attractive?) set of wheels.

Next step is to eliminate the M50 as a "model". The base car model name is "i4" and comes with a choice of packages, Sport e40, MSport e40, MPerformance M50, with all the content as in the current plan. Change absolutely zero about the actual M50 vehicle...just the product plan documents. Vehicle registrations show BMW as "make" and "i4" as model. As these steps are all packages off the base car, there is only one i4 base price at $55k.

The USA assembly is unreachable, but the above can preserve the $7,500 credit.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1