View Single Post
      09-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #99
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
With the odometer rollback, not sure how you would look at the options and think this is a good gamble. Then assuming you have had no warranty work or repair shop work where they record it.

Civil and Criminal Penalties for Odometer Fraud

The penalties for a conviction on federal odometer fraud charges can be expensive and severe. Civil penalties can include fines of up to $10,000 for each violation, with each altered odometer constituting a separate violation. You can also be sued by any individual who was defrauded by the altered odometer or documents, with potential damages being three times the amount of the actual damages or $10,000, whichever is greater. .

Additionally, if you knowingly and willfully engaged in odometer fraud, you can be sentenced to up to three years in federal prison.

You consider the options and decide you are willing to risk jail time, lawsuits and fines to save on mileage overages on your car?

I can't justify other people's decisions, but he had a shop do it, didn't get caught, referred lots of people to the same shop of Russians and in this case the value of his mileage overage at $.25 was $17,000+. So yes in this case he got a good deal and he didn't take the car to the dealer for changing the brakes after 50,000 miles. Some people like to do things that are criminal, not saying I condone it just saying I know this behavior exists and buyer beware.

BTW if you follow Hoonigans on Instagram you would know that Vinny (who is on the E9X forums) bought an old 911 that had the odometer rolled back from 400k to ~100k, and he bought that car as a car guy who would have a general sense of what stuff to look for. Public example of people doing this (in the last few weeks)

I know Amazon has sellers that sell counterfeit products and have gotten them from time to time, doesn't mean the whole system is broken but means you exercise a bit more scrutiny from time to time and decide when some things might be worth the risk or not.