10-17-2020, 03:41 PM   #13
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolarBear View Post
Good points, but once you add price in age, mileage differences, and extra warranty (£1k a year) and battery cover (unsure of cost of this but it probably would be a few hundred at least a year equivalent) , add in CarPlay/nav conversion and time off work to get it fitted/hassle (£2k), fuel savings, then it's actually not a huge difference.

I did all the above when picking pre April 17 vs LCI and figured it was worth it for me, for what was a bit extra (but not actually loads once the numbers were crunched) if you were happy to pay for a newer car with less miles and more warranty.

It's obviously how much you want to pay and how much you use the car. The depreciation has largely occurred and even though theres £20k difference from 2014s to start of LCIs, it's actually pretty linear regardless of LCI or not once everything has been factored in.
You can try to play the numbers however you like, but an older car will cost you significantly less per year than a newer one. I've had my 2017 i8 from new on a 4 year 0% interest PCP deal which comes up in march next year. My decision is whether to pay the £43k settlement number and keep my current coupe or trade the car in for a newer roadster. Financially its an absolute no brainer to keep the current car, if you're simply looking at monthly finance payments then thats far from a true reflection of the ownership costs. But as long as you can afford it and you're happy with your choice then go for it!
Appreciate 0