Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
29% of current CO2 emissions come from cars. 28% come from generation of electricity. If you need to generate a lot more electricity for a lot more EVs, we will be burning a lot more stuff. And the only way the environment benefits is if energy generation significantly shifts to renewable. Which I don’t see happening in the next 15 years. Good point about the relative burining efficiency though.
The geo-political strategic/tactical thinking to go EV:

(1.) Spare air pollution in cities - cities create a lot of wealth and nobody like to travel to, or move to, a city with air pollution. It's about the economy and business - this is China's core reasoning (sort of, see below).

(2.) Gains in efficiency/clean generation are IMMEDIATELY recognized by every electric vehicle, also a great system for developing cities / economies - allows for tighter control of energy costs.

(3.) Sun-zone owners can generate their own power and even sell back to the grid for "free" fuel. This also means a less vulnerable energy infrastructure

(4.) Electric "peaker" plants cost about 10x less than legacy and need 100x less servicing, especially peakers that aren't used often. A great reason for growing countries to use e-tech.

(5.) Battery tech is in its infancy, so huge economic boom ... but more importantly, an opportunity for non-western countries to become leaders in global technology and own markets the way US companies do. If you're China, strategically, you want totally new energy infrastructure; if you're the US, you can't afford to let e-tech-dev get out of your hands. So for the US, being a leader in BEV tech is a matter of national security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
jmg8667.00