techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
Well, I'm an M faithful and instead of buying an ICE M, I'm buying an M50.

My very first M car was an E30 M3.
Similar, former 2 e46 M3, e90 m3, and currently an F82 M4cs. I'm ready for a change and nothing currently excites me in the lineup as much as the M50.
I also had an E36 M3 and my E90 was a N54 335i. It was Cobb Tuned, M factory limited slip, F30 Brembos, Bilstein B8, etc...

Nothing M really excited me except the M2 Competition and I was looking for one before the M50 was announced. The new M3/4 all more of the same. Nothing game changing. More évolution than revolution. Yeah, new body, additional tech but fundamentally not a game changer.

The i4 M50 changes the game. Does it have more HP and speed than a G series M4 AWD? No. But the point is I'm not really looking for that. At 500hp in the USA, I'm going to run out of road long before I run out of car.

Is the M50 a "true M"? I guess the question is what is a "true M"? My E36 as nice as it was; some will argue it wasn't a true M in the US because it didn't have the M engine from Europe.

So whether the M50 is considered a "true M" can be left for others to argue. What isn't really open for debate is that it has some phenomenal tech if you read the full brief on the motor that is 93% efficient and doesn't use permanent magnets. The adaptive regen that is also GPS aware, etc....

The car is a beast and joins the e-Tron, Taycan, Lucid and others in the truly premium EV sector. Tesla is not in this sector. Look at it for what it is; an EV that has all the trappings of a BMW.