08-18-2021, 01:03 PM   #25
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I'm curious what you all do that you need these super high speed plans? In FL I have xfinity internet and cable included in the HOA. I believe it's the lowest tier internet plan they have but I have never felt the need for more.

In NC I have spectrum and also have their cheapest tier cable internet which I believe is like 50Mbps. No issues with that either and we both work from home. We pretty much watch streaming content exclusively have all kinds of smart devices (especially in FL) and have never thought damn I need some faster internet.

Now upload speeds I could occasionally use a faster speed as uploading a couple gig video can take forever, but I've notice even the higher tier plans usually don't give you much more upload speed.
In my experience the providers push you into the higher speed networks with pricing. For example, in NC, I can get AT&T gig for $60, 100 Mpbs for $50 or 300 Mbps for $60. Now I never get anywhere near gig on wifi and everhhing there is wireless, but I get 300 Mbps so a drop to 100 might be noticeable enough that the extra $10 / mo. is worth it. If 300 Mbps weren't the same exact price as gig, I'd do that. So, I just left the faster speed. (Gig was actually cheaper than slower speeds when I started due to promo pricing.)

In FL, I connect my laptop to the gateway via Ethernet and get over 900 Mbps. Is it absolutely necessary? Probably not, but I do get and send some large files and it is nice to have. And again the savings for dropping down in speed are negligible.