05-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #9
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsonism View Post
Is this something that is a "hot topic/button" bubble currently or do you think these analytic industries are going to develop in years to come? To me sometimes I feel it's a sold product that sounds good on paper, but really could fade in effectiveness or utilization over time. The job security of this field is what I'm really looking at more than anything.
It's hot now because it's in the infancy stage...people throw around big data because it's a buzz. However, I can tell you that big companies are investing real millions into developing their own big data analytics. Logically, it makes sense. We've never been in a world where so much detailed and descriptive data is available at our fingertips. Having the skill to break this data down and provide meaningful analytics is a big asset.

I don't think it's going away... This isn't 6 sigma - which isn't as hot anymore, but still survives. I believe big data is the way businesses and industries will have to proceed if they are to continue in the future. For example, the amount of information a car dealer has about one customer transaction has so much more value and tangential information now than before. It used to be isolated to just the customers contact info and at most his/her credit history. Now, an automaker, bank, or even dealer can cross-reference tastes, buyer habits, predict loyalty, identify customer base characteristics...the list is endless.
Appreciate 3