05-03-2016, 08:16 PM   #13
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
OP - my best advice, develop a skill within you field that makes YOU the commodity, regardless of the chosen path.

What is hot today will be automated by data processors tomorrow.

The trick - make yourself somewhat irreplaceable because of what you know. I work with financial data all day, everyday. I am also in the position of being on a very short list of company employees that have my particular skill and full working knowledge (1 of 1).
That's the idea and but I need a leap from where I am presently with my current background to a new field of opportunities. So in respect to that statement, I'm attempting to embark on a journey through education that will aid me in becoming that very unique person in a very marketable position that will satiate job security.

However, the only knowledge that I possess currently at a mastered or expert level is ballistics and military tactics regarding snipers. Everything else that I've achieved doesn't necessarily set me aside from the other candidates and I do not have the skills I feel civilian side that I can really build upon. I feel that statistics and big data science would be a route that would aide me in achieving that status, hopefully securing a career for a long time to come as a specialized individual with proof that he/she could still adapt and overcome to achieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
AI is growing at a logarithmic rate, like it or not. We need to adjust and adapt where we can to leverage this...

MUST READ:

https://medium.com/basic-income/deep...a49#.vira6ss3e
That's a very interesting article because it is something that I've considered. This helps form the perspective that the tasks that can be done by computers are only going to further aid us in processing this information not actually analyzing it. The analytical and interpretation or what we would even want to interpret will come from us, human beings, for a good long while to come. Especially with different industries attempting to understand their efficiency and deficiencies.

I thank you greatly for sharing that article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
OP, the ability to see the story that data tells is only the beginning. The analysis most be actionable and duplicatable, if appropriate. As far as a career in data goes, I urge you to look into the pharma/biotech space. Data is our best friend.
I most definitely stole some of the language here for my response above. I believe that being able to interpret those stories and relay them back to interested parties would be a very rewarding career. In a way you are able to help folks and in the same respect you are able to achieve something that they are incapable of fathoming. That regard to knowledge and the advancement of that knowledge is something that intrigues me. It is not necessarily to belittle someone else, rather to be humbled by what others have achieved and in some way or form be able to partake in their future success. To see construction, building blocks and growth, is a foundation that I've always enjoyed. Having these skills allows you the general and mutual respect through knowledge to perform these duties for others and be granted a rather high responsibility with those very same persons. It's hard for me to explain, but I really do enjoy being a humble person and learning everything that I'm able and most certainly everything at my disposal, however until you've reached a utilizable position, rarely do you get included at such high decisions or even get to see the full scope of an operation even though you could be capable of doing such things.

Ironically I am looking also at the pharmaceutical industry and possibly getting my PharmD in another path through education. Everything that I'm considering embarking on leaves me with no debt, and that's urged me to continue my education and give it the best shot that I can, as this may be my last shot to get into a career that I would enjoy for my working life to come.