Ranjohn
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Coupe

HMmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz View Post
BMW needs to make a proper super car with a V8 or V10 or something crazy.

People who have that kind of money to spend $135K base + on a car won't care too much on fuel Econ. Also, they wouldn't drive a super car type as a daily driver. At least thats what I've seen. SO why have high fuel econ when a car like the i8 will likely not get driven as much?

Audi understands that and thats why even the next gen R8 will still have the same 2 engines (V8 and Lambo V10) but with cylinder deactivation, start stop etc just to try to be a little more efficient

BMW , I wish you made/make a proper super car I would buy it! Mercedes has a couple of super cars, Audi has one too.

I think i8 is heavily focused on euro markets which have strict emission requirements etc

I think The concept of the i8 is just boring, no offence to anyone. Also a lot of its power comes from the electric motor which does not have a long range. So really you're drivng a 1.5 Litre 3 Cyl "Super" car with 236 Hp.

At least Audi is coming up with the r8 e-tron, a fully electric car with a ton of performance and range

Disclaimer: I hate Audi's other than the R8
I think this is an utterly subjective thing. Don't get me wrong, I admire the design and performance of the R8 as well as its segment marketing. For the SLS, not so much. Why would I be spending over 200K but not getting a Horse or a Bull (Ferrari/Lambo?) But again, it's a complete personal view. I am assuming BMW is doing this i project for many reasons, some come from the government, some for its own aspect. BMW hopes to investigate and explore the world of hybrid without sacrificing the performance (same as what Porsche is doing with the 918, for instance). And you have no idea how many times in the REAL world that supercar owners have told that the same things over and over again: they wish their cars can hold more than just 2 people; they wish they can drive their gorgeous vehicles to work on a daily basis (why not, really) but dragging around a v10/v12 in town every single damn day is just not practical. Plus I love the pricing, not an ultra-luxury car but certainly very well refined. The only small let down I guess is the accelaration, I was expecting at least under 4 sec 0-60 (consider a 2.8 for 918 Spyder); but again, the i8 is much better on the eyes and can hold 2 more adults. I like the i concept, all in all, but don't get me started on the F30 steering and the way that BMW is heading in the lower segments.
Appreciate 0