United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5, 2017 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
I get your point, but at what cost and who is footing the bill?
What I mean is, these heavily controlled parking lots will cost a great deal of money, who is paying for it, hopefully not the general public through taxes. Also, let's say a private entity pays for these areas, where will they be? Does that mean that a floor in a public garage has to be converted for autonomous use only? Where a fraction of the cars on the road can take advantage of it? It just doesn't make any sense, this whole thing is solving a problem that simply doesn't exist.
It take literally seconds to park a car. If you can't do it properly, learn.

Sorry if this comes off as a rant, I just don't see the point in investing into unnecessary technologies when the money can be spent on making a vehicle's dynamics better, you know, like, the Ultimate Driving Machine?
I hear ya.... I consider it the same as a valet-only area. The same argument could be made about full autonomous driving... lots of R&D going into the domain in general, not just auto-parking. Being able to call your call to pick you up (i.e. Tesla Summon) would be fantastic.... just think you're coming out of a store and the weather is crap or whatever..maybe you're old or have a handicap... you can have your car come to you. Lots of use cases or areas where that feature is useful.
PABrian90.00