Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
im wondering now if he got a washed check. person setup a fake bank acct. made a cashiers check for $100. Then washed it and rewrote $75k.
Very possible, today's color printers are pretty amazing. I happened to be at my bank today and I ask to see a certified check and in looking at it it has a distinct watermark but there was no embossing on the watermark. I was surprised and disappointed.

This is from Forbes
How to Avoid Fraud With Certified Checks
Three of the main reasons why people like to use certified checks are to help ensure security, guard against fraud and avoid bounced checks for large transactions. Using a certified check can give a seller more certainty that they will get paid. However, there are still a few tips to look out for to avoid fraud with certified checks:
When you’re the party receiving a certified check, call the bank immediately after receiving the certified check. Don’t use any phone number for the bank that is printed on the check; if the check is fraudulent, that number could be fake, too. Or look up the bank online.
Ask the bank to verify the account holder’s name and check number.
Counterfeiters are becoming more sophisticated at printing official-looking bank logos and creating physically convincing fake checks. While a certified check is typically more secure than an average personal check, you may want to take extra steps to verify that the check is legitimate before releasing the purchased goods.
https://www.forbes.com/advisor/banki...rtified-check/

When I was in the auto business in the 70's we traded cars between dealer all the time and everyone used the old Pitney Bowes check signer. Couldn't wash one of those checks.

Next time I need to sell something expensive and it's not a local transaction where I can walk into the bank, I'm going wire transfer or nothing.
Appreciate 2