View Single Post
      10-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #35
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
If you're this involved in GMO, then I'm sure you know about Norman Borlaug. Do you just not recognize his contribution for some reason?

Between 1964 and 2001, wheat production in India rose from 12 to 75 million tons, while wheat production in Pakistan increased from 4.5 to 22 million tons. India awarded Borlaug the Padma Vibhushan, India's second highest civilian honor. The Green Revolution in food production made possible by Dr. Borlaug's work has touched the lives of farmers in other parts of Asia, as well as in Latin America and even many developed countries.

Not true. There are certain parts of the world that were unable to produce enough food to feed their people because there simply isn't enough viable land to do so. Borlaug was able to solve this problem in Mexico, India and Pakistan. It was an engineering problem. One that was solved by science and GMOs.

He increased the output of wheat until the stalks snapped from the added weight. He then crossed those with genes from dwarf wheat to give his GMO wheat, thicker stalks, able to sustain the extra weight of the increased output. As a result, those countries increased their food output many times over, avoiding famine.
That is very intersecting thanks for the info, I haven't heard of him before. I still think GMO's need more research. Someone needs to do a long term health study on a small group of humans. I agree and have always thought genetic engineering could be useful in the future, I just don't think we are ready for it yet. We need to know if it's safe first. Also I think modern GMO's are a little different than what Bourlag did. He used genetic engineering to feed the poor, today we are using genetic engineering so we can add toxins to our food.

And we do already produce enough food to feed the world. Maybe there are some countries that don't produce enough but combined we do. A large amount of food is wasted because people don't finish eating it or its not sold so its thrown out etc.
Appreciate 0