06-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #40
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGRMLN View Post
I've had this happen and it was super frustrating. I secured the emergency release handle (the glow in the dark handle) in its proper spot and boom, it never did it again. My hunch is that if you have that handle dangling, it might somehow interfere with the lock mechanism...
This may indeed be the problem, but with an additional condition required. I noticed that the only time my trunk would indicate open when it was in fact closed (and subsequently wouldn't open) was when I had stuff in the trunk. It never happened after I closed the trunk empty. It happened again today and once I got it open I noticed that one of my grocery bags was rubbing against the loose emergency handle. I'm starting to think that when I placed the very full grocery bag into the trunk it rubbed against the release handle and caused it to slightly pull down as the bag was lowered into the trunk. In examining the release cable attached to the handle I noticed it requires only a very short travel distance in order to release the latch. Then, when I closed the trunk, the emergency handle was still pulled down by the grocery bag and that made the system think the trunk must be open. I've now re-secured the handle (key is that it must snap in place) and will be more careful when placing packages into the trunk, so we'll see if the problem re-occurs.

Has anyone else who experienced this problem had it occur when there was nothing in the trunk?
Appreciate 0