08-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #94
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Looks like I can get a set of EDGE wheels built up for a few huno more than the Zipps and save about 500g. I'm just unsure of the weight limit of the rim though. I read somewhere that EDGE wheels (at least the OEM versions with radial lacing) were only rated up to 190lbs. With the custom builds I'd be going for 24/28 with double butted spokes laced in a 2/3 cross pattern on the front/rear, so that might be good enough.
I think they're being conservative on their site, just CYA. Plus the complete wheels sold as Edge have DT Swiss 240 hubs (or 190's as an upgrade) and they're not the greatest hubs, due to narrow flange angles, relative to other hubs.

Edge stuff might not be seen under the sponsored pros as much as Zipp or Lightweight/Carbonsports stuff, but it's really, really good stuff and builds fantastic wheels. Lots of cyclocross guys are using them with plenty of success. Of course that's mostly the tubular version, which comes in a more robust version, the 2.45, like I mentioned earlier, but there's only one version of the clincher rim in the 45mm height. It's a great one though, and built with plenty of spokes in a 2x or 3x pattern, should be nice and strong for you.

CBike up your way appears to still have their 20% off sale on, but excludes Zipp. D'oh!
Appreciate 0