03-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #8
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
90% of that is easy DIY shit. $70 in labor to replace the microfilter? Its like 6 screws and is sitting on top of the engine. Its a 5 minute job.

Brakes are stupid easy (and as noted they have a quote for all 4 AND the front and rear). You can get a brake bleeder kit for under $100 and ATE TYP200 for $20. Hell, get two and bleed the hell out of it. If you can get the wheel off you can bleed the brakes.

Air filter is another couple of bolts, stupid easy job.

The suspension is the real rape there. For starters, if they are putting new tires on your car they should be throwing in the alignment. Second, their labor is INSANE. $350 to replace a thrust rod bushing. And its $180 in parts, the whole arm is that and its 30 minutes with a lift. I did my ENTIRE suspension with OEM manufactured parts (all arms, struts, springs, bearings, CA links, etc) for less than what they want for the front struts.

Honestly, Id never talk to this guy again and if he called me Id tell him to go F himself with that. Then Id go to pelican or FCP and start to buy the parts for the jobs. Feel free to tackle them as you can, piecemeal. Other than the brakes and suspension. Do the thrust arm (whole, don't dick with trying to press out the bearing, for the cost you get a new bearing and joint) with the suspension, do the brakes as a whole job. Do the spark plugs and OFHG together since youre up there. The filters can be done whenever.

Honestly the only thing on this list that seems legit hard is that sealing sleeve. But based on this guys quote on everything else Im going out on a limb and say his is way too high anyway so find a good independent and get a quote from them.

Honestly, even if these prices are fair, if Global Imports BMW/Baron BMW is any indication, youre better off going to an independent anyway. I have been really, really, really disappointing with the quality of service performed by dealers. Every single time I have taken my car to Global Imports they have fucked something up, something obvious that even having someone take a second look at would have been caught. I think anymore they hire morons who are only capable of doing recalls with specific instructions (and even then they screw shit up).
I just noticed this guy is from Canada. That probably means the prices quoted are in Canadian Dollars. That would mean the overall total for the services listed is around $7500. While a bit more reasonable, your points still apply. Most of the work is relatively easy to do on your own and you can get these parts cheaper online than paying dealer markup. If I was being lazy or didnt know how to do the work myself, Id try and find a reputable independent mechanic rather than using this dealership.
Appreciate 0