View Single Post
      10-20-2021, 11:13 AM   #79
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
So, do you have an opinion on the Tesla Model 3 you can share?

Like it or not, which I understand as it's your opinion, it's the segment benchmark for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is the fact that several hundred thousand people don't share your opinion.....
And, many buy it for one of these primary reasons:
  • EVs are perceived to be environmentally friendly
  • They're "cool"
  • First on the block
  • Eager for ADAS
  • Performance
  • Charging network

I have not yet heard/read anyone attempting to establish overall vehicle quality/goodness/capability. There is usually one key emotional driver, as those shown above, and then all the trade-offs as to why the rest of the vehicle is so mediocre are rationalized/explained.

That's OK, too. Other famous models/brands have done well by offering something unique, even in the face of accompanying shortfalls. For a long time, the entire Jaguar brand was viewed as such by some. Bob "Maximum Bob" Lutz, father of the Viper (not known in early days for overall quality) established the principle that if "Things Gone Right" exceed "Things Gone Wrong" (not in number but in importance), buyers will buy. For Tesla folks, they have their TGRs, mostly as shown in the bullets above. For those of us who won't go near one, we see too many "TGWs" with higher importance.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0