03-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #10
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss tone View Post
Just noticed when my wheels were off. The 'concertina' black plastic 'bellow' circular covers (that protect the shocker rods) are split in a couple of places on each wheel position. The bottom section is split almost all the way round on a couple of them.

The material seems very flimsy and nothing like the stronger plastic of my other cars? Weird why they would make them of lesser material unless weight saving?

I would assume it's not an easy job to change them due to the suspension strip down so anyone got any idea's or just forget about it?

They are open ended so can't stop all debris? Will it cause any major issues to the rods?

My car is a daily but i can't help but think that this shouldn't happen to a 2015 with 16k miles. It's out of the 3 year manufacturer warranty but do you think there is a 'not fit for purpose' claim there?

I guess wrapping tape round them isn't going to work well.
My car was in for serviced last week and BMW quoted GBP 1242.32 to replace the split cover. Luckily I have the extended warranty otherwise that would have been painful.
Appreciate 0