View Single Post
      03-12-2020, 12:42 PM   #45
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs, NSX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
It's sort of a symbol of what BMW became during the 2010s decade: a brand that tried to be the jack of all trades but master of none. I mean look at nearly all of their F-chassis vehicles; were any of them truly exceptional in any way? BMW used to be focused on providing customers an exceptional driving experience but that went out the window with trying to be everything to everyone. The i8 was a prime example of that. Things are better now but but by much. You can't drive the new 3-series and tell me it's truly focused on being a driver's car, and reviews agree.
Very much agree with your assessment. I've been a long time BMW owner starting back in the days with an e36M3. But times are changing and technology is evolving. The days of ICE cars are numbered. There isn't much of a market for cars that only focus on driving (manuals, hydraulic steering, etc), NA engine with a great exhaust, etc. Now the mass market wants cars that perform just as well, if not better, than those cars while providing much better mileage/efficiency, latest/greatest tech, safety, etc. BMW would be out of business if it still tried to sell e30s/e36s in today's market. Actually, they probably couldn't even if they wanted due to all the present day mandates. And it isn't just BMW doing this. Every manufacturer is...Porsche, McLaren, Ferrari, etc. They all have hybrids and electric cars, and all of those cars, compared to their predecessors, can be considered less of a driver's car.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50