View Single Post
      06-22-2020, 02:13 AM   #21
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsgarageonline View Post
Alex told me that the stock map is based on efficiency and fuel economy, even in Sport Mode. The way it is designed, the stock engine map is designed to wait for the electric motor to initiate the roll out, then come in with more torque from the engine. By making the engine wait until the electric motor starts, it results in less emissions and better fuel economy. Alex modified the map to eliminate the torque limitation down low in the engine map, so the engine kicks in with power from the start, instead of waiting. He also modified timing to allow for more response based on fuel octane. The i8 stock tune was designed so the i8 could be used anywhere in the world based on the worst quality gas available. Alex based my tune on 91-93 Octane quality US gas. Our premium is 93 Octane (98 RON). But, I can run 100 Octane race gas in it and the map will adjust timing to compensate for it, while being safe for the engine.

This map helps improve performance in Sport. And increase gas mileage in Eco/Comfort, by adjusting timing, torque limitations, etc. It's a street-map to help make the i8 more fun but not an all out performance beast.

He has been getting so many messages wanting the tune, he decided to sell an update version, in addition to a stage 1 tune, which is higher performance:

https://www.yorkshiredpfcentre.com/p...including-maps
Have emmisions been measured as well? I made the experience as many i8 drivers that Sports on long trips, manually put in 6th gear because the automatic limits Sports to 5th, is really efficient. I have seen between 5 and 6 Liters / 100km typically at 150 km/h (sorry for those who live in the axis of unit evil still, only USA, Myanmar and Liberia left ). I strongly doubt there is a "no downside" better tune than from BMW originally. The question is which downsides you personally are willing to accept and if they are legal.
Appreciate 0