05-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #16
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
I decided to write to BMWUSA to see if I could find out any more about the start of ordering. I didn't expect much more than a polite "there is no information available" type response, but did get the following back.

"...The official release for the BMW i8 has not been announced. BMW of North America LLC. is planning on a Fall release. Once orders are accepted in Germany, your Sales Representative at your BMW Center will provide you with a production number to track the production status. "

Of course, I'm not sure if Fall release means orders won't be taken until Fall or if deliveries will commence in Fall, but I was pleased to see the US will be next in line after Germany.
Encouraging to get a reply. With deliveries to BMW employees taking place I'm putting more weight behind the "Fall" claim that I did with the "Spring" ETA they gave at Frankfurt in Sept 2013, and the "Summer" announcement at the NAIAS in January, and the "July" date that was on their website in February. I just remind myself that people with NSX deposits have it worse when it comes to the delay/waiting game. Like I've said before, I don't mind waiting. I've spent over six months waiting for a car AFTER getting a build slot, but the car came exactly when they said it would. Basically what I mind are constant delays with very little communication. If you aren't 100% sure, don't say anything.

I guess AMG has spoiled me with regards to PR, straight forward answers, and direct access. For instance, I could private message or directly email the US Product Manager for AMG. Anyone with an AMG can...and he gets back to you quick. Spoke to him face to face at an AMG event about the upcoming AMG GT. But finding out anything concrete about the US i8 launch has been next to impossible.

If my posts no this forum aren't obvious enough, I'm REALLY looking forward to the i8 and will probably end up being a BMW "i" evangelist to anyone that asks...but they aren't making it easy.

I'm still confused on why there isn't an official statement on features/options at least. The only reasonable reason I can think of is that the "no options, no packages, everything standard" philosophy for the US isn't set in stone...and it should be by now. It's a GREAT car but telling me your $136k 3-cylinder plug-in hybrid flagship doesn't include things like surround cameras, adaptive cruise, adaptive LEDS, heads-up display, etc. would not only seem contradictory to the "Welcome to the Future" campaign but also a black-eye to its product image of being their most advanced car ever. Maybe someone just forgot they hadn't got that info out officially but that's a stretch.

I'm venting, screaming to the heavens (BMWUSA PR) for a sign (order guide) and getting nothing. Thanks for putting up with my rants.

Last edited by Carac; 05-15-2014 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0