View Single Post
      06-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #84
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickM View Post
I wish soccer was popular here in U.S as much as NFL or NBA. At work, nobody gives a shit about world cup
I use to care...a lot. The issues are these:

1. The quality games (with the world class players) are mostly in Europe. You have to get up at 5 AM pacific on a weekend to watch it. The latest game will be on at 11AM pacific. The Champs League games are on during work hours.

2. Most of the good games you'll want to watch is still on premium channels. Though recently ESPN, FOX and NBC has started carrying more EPL and Bundesliga games. But what about Serie A, Eredevise, La Liga, Ligue 1? Sure, I won't watch Bastia vs Nice...but I'd like to watch the big Monaco vs PSG match.

3. It's even harder to watch qualification games of any type.

4. The rich gets richer fatigue. It's like try to convince someone to be a casual MLB fan. Sure from time to time you get an Astros or Royals championship run (Hoffenheim/Leicster City)....but let's be real here, the more you spend, the more you win. You will NEVER beat the Yankees, Sox, Cubs, Nationals, Dodgers, Giants, (Man U, Chelsea, Barca, Real). At least in MLB, there are luxury taxes and drafts to even the playing field a bit. Club soccer is literally a business (not a franchise).

5. The quality of USMNT players are hit or miss. There still is no superstar world player (maybe Pulisic), and we're dependent on a foreign-based and developed player to come through. The IMG and Project 40 was great for a kickstarter, but it's hard to keep it going. IMG has turned out a lot of duds recently

6. MLS keeps adding 'has beens'. Sure, it was fun to watch Thierry Henry or Zlatan tear through the league in the first season, but the rest of their careers are just boring here. Further, the MLS system is also rigged. Why doesn't the Columbus Crew get Zlatan? - Enough said!

Last edited by Flying Ace; 06-22-2018 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 1