01-06-2022, 03:23 PM   #11
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: I8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws View Post
Sorry. I had this since April. Got busy trying to make sure my kid finished this school year. So.... yes and no. They gave me some dyno charts for post LCI motors (the ones with more HP and bigger battery) and they looked great.

Then, for the pre-LCI motors that looked like the person testing the car barely pressed the gas pedal until around 3000 RPM or so, then floored it. (all the power for the i8 is down low, so I was really wondering what the hell they did wrong and why they would not notice it or fix it. Glaring issue)

I am sure the power curve is not like that. I do have a standing question with them to find out why they F'd up the pre-LCI dyno charts. I just emailed them again to try to get them to respond.

I ended up buying it, it is sitting in a box in my garage. I plan to set up some cameras, my Dragy and do some before and after. I do not want to be like everyone else and install it and then make a useless YouTube video afterwards and go "yeah, its faster". I want to benchmark it and then, show the difference. And not just 0-60. Some rolling times as well.

I also bought their pedal commander. I expect it to probably be BS and I will also Dragy test it before and after and not just 0-60, but rolling, trying to show a difference in Gs when you mash the pedal while rolling, things like that. There is not one, and I mean NO good videos from anyone testing the pedal boxes people make. Not one with any testing or scientific comparisons. it's a disappointment. Al the videos are fluff. smiles, BS and driving around aimlessly.

as for "the tune to get", these guys actually program your ECU, and claim their Stage 2, gets the same DTE HP gains.

https://max-tune.com/products/max-tune-stage-2-software

which.... I did not want to program my ECU (being in California), but this one has the advantage of : they are not "fooling" your sensors, they are actually increasing and measuring boost and properly adjusting fuel tables and such. Its the right way to do it, for sure. I just do not want to set flags in my ECU that might fail me for smog, even if I flash back. Not taking that chance, yet.

But, in order to get Stage 2, Max-Tune say you must remove your cat. A deal-breaker for me. Maybe they have actually done some more comprehensive testing than DTE and --they found that pushing that kind of HP gain melts cats? I am not exactly sure, but I am not driving with no cat. Also, they only have a tune for the 362HP original motor.
Interesting thread, so how did it turn out ?
Appreciate 0