07-29-2021, 05:46 PM   #90
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
I've been keeping up with the Olympics, it's fun to watch some of these sports which aren't really shown on tv such as fencing, archery, water polo, track, cycling, swimming etc etc… I do enjoy it.

As far as Simone Biles pulling out due to her mental health, that was unfortunate since it did cost the US a Gold (and maybe more), and we won't be seeing her in the individuals either. It's hard to put "pulled out" and "GOAT" in the same sentence because the greats look forward to the challenge and that's when they really step up. For Simone, well not so much.

Only she knows what's going on, but it's just unfortunate this happened now since this is most likely her last Olympics since next one she would be 28 and I believe that is out of the age range you see for most competing gymnasts.
Read up on the "Twisties". It's a phenomenon where gymnasts lose their sense of spatial awareness- even the very best.

You can't "push" through them. Well, not if you want to be alive at the end of the maneuver.

I talked to my wife about them. She said she had it happen to her near the end of her collegiate career and it was the scariest thing she's ever experienced- you lose your sense of where you are in the jump and Bad Things happen from there.

She said she never really recovered, and it impacted the remainder of her collegiate career.

So. Based on this? Biles was ABSOLUTELY correct in doing what she did!!

Last edited by flybigjet; 07-29-2021 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 2
sygazelle11420.50