01-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #30
Z K
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
This will be my last response to you, as you have your mind set on what you want to believe, irrespective of the fact that it is wrong. If you honestly were open to listening to other opinions and would actually change your beliefs when shown the facts, I would continue - but alas, that isn't to be.

We need some government, limited government. But most of life, the best of life, goes on without government, many of the best parts in spite of government.

As such, however...

1) The internet issues you are having is due to crony capitalism (i.e. more government influence). When monopolies or Near-Monopolies occur due to government payoffs, etc - no one wins. I don't have that where I live and as such, I currently have 5 different internet providers to chose from who all fight for my business. I have 100mbps internet in my home for which I pay $49/mo for. I am happy with that speed and cost.

2) Eliminate public education, have the government spend that tax money on vouchers for the low income students instead. The government spends on average about $13,000 per student per year. Very easy to find a quality private school for far less tuition than that. Prices would come down further, as well, due to increased competition.

3) Costs associated with healthcare have very little to do with profits. Most of our high healthcare costs in this country relate to two things. The absorption of high levels of litigation expenses and the offset of costs associated with having to eat the patients who come into hospitals and don't pay along with underpayments by the governments via medicare and medicaid reimbursements.

4) Regarding companies only existing to make money...this is true, but companies have to do right by the eyes of the consumer or they will go out of business. Look at the current government shutdown as an example. The New York Times shrieks, "Shutdown Curtails FDA Food Inspections!" More important, meat is usually safe not because of government -- but because of competition. Food sellers worry about their reputations. They know they'll get bad publicity if they poison people (think Chipotle), so they take many more safety measures than government requires. I know for a fact that one meat producer employs 2,000 more safety inspectors than the law demands. Even security work is done better by the private sector. At San Francisco's airport, security lines move faster. The screeners are nicer and the TSA even acknowledged that those screeners are better at finding contraband. That's because San Francisco (Kansas City, Seattle and a dozen smaller airports) privatized the screening process. Private companies are responsible for security. Private contractors are better because they must compete. Perform badly, and they get fired.
As I said, good on a small scale, not a good idea on a large scale.

I would not be here today without the assistance of social programs. As a child, San Francisco public education, public libraries, public scholarships, govt school loans allowed me get a quality education and to get to where I am today. As such I can see the value in these and I hope it will help other children without means.

But I think I'll agree to disagree. I don't think you can see my viewpoint nor me yours.