07-16-2019, 08:38 PM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherM4n View Post
You downshift by just letting the clutch out then with no mind paid to before/after RPMs?

Edit: When I taught my girlfriend how to drive a manual, the concept and execution of rev matching was absolutely something we went over. Being smooth with the clutch and gas isn't something that's reserved for racetracks; I would think it's something appreciated by both the mechanicals and any passengers.
One can avoid the need to rev match with the throttle by applying the brakes and downshifting at the proper time (i.e. in the speed range of the gear); one does not need to rev match at every downshift. And I do rev match when necessary for the power delivery commensurate with the driving situation. BTW, I learned to drive and took the driving test with a manual transmission in a car without a tachometer (yeah, I'm that old LOL). I hit the manual-transmission million driven miles mark probably 11 years ago, maybe even earlier if you count the miles I have on the big scooters

Regardless, I was addressing jmg's comment regarding rev matching AND using a heel 'n toe technique; even he knew it was funny...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-16-2019 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0