View Single Post
      08-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

That's me in the Driving Range video! As for battery life I'm a little perplexed myself about why they would say that as it makes no sense.

How long the battery lasts depends on the needs of the owner. As the battery ages, it will lose capacity. If you start out with a 100 mile range in three years it may only have an 80 mile range. There are a lot of factors that will determine how well the battery holds up over time and proper cars will help it to last longer for you. However with use and time it will degrade. So when you need a new battery is up to you. Is 80 miles enough, 70? If you get the range extender this is much less critical because you can still use the car as before except as it ages you'll use more gas. I think the range extender will definitely help the resale value immensely because of this very issue. You may even get back nearly all you paid for the option when you sell a 4 year old i3.
Anyway, with proper care an i3 battery pack should still have about 70% capacity after about 100,000 to 120,000 miles. Which is about when most industry experts say you'll probably need a battery replacement.