02-08-2019, 07:03 AM   #2255
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
This thread for some reason has me observing people everytime I work out lol. Before this thread I could give two chits what people do. Two things that literally annoyed me tonight at the gym. First one was when I was in the bathroom this guy was taking a crap and walked out of the bathroom without washing his effing hands. Than I see him high fiving his buddies as he's picking up dumbbells

The second incident was this new year resolutioner guy tapped me on the shoulder and said something to me during the middle of my set. Because I had my headset on I couldn't hear what he said? I said "excuse me?" He said "why do you look so serious?" I said "cause I'm in the zone! I'm here to workout and not really chit chat." So he goes on and starts talking about random shit? So I try to be courteous and say "Cool!" but at the same time hoping he catches the hint when he sees me sliding my headphones back on. So annoying. Hopefully I didn't come off as a dick

LOL....I hate when people come up to me during my workouts just to "talk". Now if they need a spot or something like that...I'm good. But if it's just to shoot the shit, I've actually asked people were they there to socialize or workout?

I'm at the age where I don't really care if I come across as a dick. Now if I am done with my workout, I will talk with you as long as you want especially if I know you. And I don't mind if newbies ask me questions. Most of that is shut down pretty quickly though as my answer to most of their questions is it's all about your diet. I will tell them that diet is a good 80% of any progress they could make, and they have to be consistent about it.

This tends to turn them away as they don't want to hear it. They want to come in, do a few sets with hardly any effort, the go and eat what they want and expect results.

That's why I gave up personal training a long time ago. People will lie to you and tell you they are doing something that they aren't.

I remember one guy I was working with, I told him I wanted him to log everything he was eating for at least 2-3 weeks along with his bodyweight. I told him that was the best way we could come up with where we needed to start his calorie intake based upon his goals. He didn't have the discipline to even do that.

Then you have the others who start a diet, and then ask about cheat meals or even cheat days while barely being 3 weeks in. I typically start my dieting for summer at no more than 12% B.F. And I will go at least 6 weeks before I even consider a re-feed. What really blows their minds are that you tell them that the leaner they are, the more re-feeds they actually need.

Your body likes homeostasis. It want's to stay right where it is. So it's a battle to make a permanent change and trick your body to getting where you want...especially the older you get. Then you have to "cement" those changes by staying that way for awhile.

Oh well....rant over!