09-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kits135i View Post
40mm is small. There are plenty of women's watches that are 38mm. Sorry to me they are small. Maybe on the average wrist they are ok, but I have 9" wrist. 40mm and even 44mm looks like a child's watch on my wrist. I wear 50-55mm and my daily is 53mm and most people think its a 42 or 44. Smallest I have is 45mm. That is a LumTec. Seems to be better quality than what's listed for less money.

500$ for quarts??? That just does not add up to me. I see they use sapphire crystal and other stuff, but seriously, you can get a swiss auto from Hamilton for $500 which has a lot more to offer in every aspect.

I like the looks, but not for the price range for what you are getting. Just my opinion. The lower end range I would buy LumTec. Same money and you get more. Again just how I feel.

But just like you said. Does not matter what you buy, buy what you like and wear it in good health. Who cares what others say. But being a forum, I am putting my worthless .02 in just like everyone else.
I can understand how your wrists make a 42 mm watch small. Okay.

I would grant your point re: Hamilton but for the fact that Hamiltons just use OTS movements from ETA. Shinola does at least assemble their own movements, even if they are quartz and not mechanical. For that reason, a Shinola is minimally a semi-manufacture watch in much the same way an Omega is a semi-manufacture watch. The difference being that Omega takes am OTS ETA movement and tweaks it. It's certainly safe to say that neither has a full on in-house movement as does JLC, Patek, Nomos, even Auguste Reymond or that Russian company whose name escapes me just now.

The Russian folks make a watch model called a Pilot that can be had for about ~$700 and is entirely mechanical and manufacture. Citizen actually builds its quartz movements and one doesn't have to pay $500 for one. So, yes, there is no shortage of ways to spend one's five or six hundred dollars and get a nice watch. What one cannot do is spend that sum and get an American made manufacture watch, but by buying Shinola, one can get about as close as is possible to do.

I respect your POV and have no issue with it, for as you said, placet suum cuique. The short is that I just don't see ~$500 as sum worth stressing over just exactly how much value I'm getting from a watch so priced. I like Robert Graham shirts, so whenever I go shopping, I invariably see one or two that catch my fancy, even though I'm not really there to buy shirts, but I buy them anyway. The Shinola strikes me about the same as buying a couple shirts or pair of shoes, either of which will run me about the same amount of money. (More often though two shirts will cost more than than the darn watch. )

By the same token, were someone to ask me what watch should they buy for ~$500, I doubt I'd suggest Shinola unless they mentioned desiring something that was entirely consistent with a Shinola. For example, they wanted an American manufacture watch or if they wanted something that some hundred years from now might be of note/value. That's not to say I am certain that the Shinola will become a collectors piece, but as it's the first of a thing, it might be, if only for it's historic and cultural significance and because it's the first thing issued by a company that promises to produce some really great watches down the road. Something similar happened to the 1933 Ingersoll Mickey Mouse watch which then sold for, what $1, but now would be hard to find for $1000.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0