View Single Post
      08-20-2021, 03:37 PM   #13
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Aside from having adequate number of charging stations, I also would require fast charging. The capability of the IX is already out of date compared not only to expensive Porsches and Audis but even mainline cars like the Ioniq 5.
150kw is plenty, if it can support that from low state of charge up to about 80%. If it can only hold 150kw for a couple minutes before tapering off, that's a problem, but otherwise, eh. Not a big deal. Especially if it performs like the VWAG products on consumption/range in cold weather/high speed (under-promise, over-deliver).

The frunk is a moderately big deal, but they're obviously using it to house components they'd have to put somewhere, so, eh, not a big deal either. The power electronics heat has to be dealt with somewhere, if they used the space to make sure they would have similar heat tolerance to the VWAG products, well worth it IMO

I have a 2021 Model X and I use the frunk all the time, but it's a nice-to-have. I want faster charging (no taper) and better consumption in suboptimal conditions. Tesla is offering both of those upgrades on the latest Model X pack and power systems, but it's currently unobtanium, and comes with a ton of ergonomic screwups, at a huge price premium...so. We wait. For somebody else to make a somewhat sensible 7-place EV wagon. Even Tesla has stopped making them. For now, Model Y is the only game in that town, and that 3rd-row is TIGHT. If you want a 5-seater, the world is about to get a lot more interesting.

Notably, until the Lightning and Rivian and various other vaporware emerges from the mist to market, at 110+kwh the iX 50will have the largest capacity battery ever put in a production car. My X Long Range Plus is ~104kwh total, ~100 "usable".

Last edited by Richbot; 08-20-2021 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50