Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
Ummm... Back to the I8.

Any thoughts if any of the tuners will take a stab at tuning the 3 cylinder turbo? I really hope so.
I've been told DINAN got their hands on one and promptly said "NOPE" to tuning it. Something about the engine already running 25 lbs of boost, how turning up the voltage on the front motor screwed with the electrics/battery, and how they were not capable of adapting or writing their own software to keep the two modified drivetrains in sync. They already need to use a standalone custom ECU for newer M cars and would almost certainly need to use a couple on the i8...and then there is the prospective market. How many of the already small pool of i8 buyers are going to buy it? Something they have to invents hundreds of thousands and years of software development. Heard Steve Dinan on a podcast where he said it took well over a year to get a conventional turbo BMW where they want it in tuning, imagine the development of custom software for the i8, that interacts with all of the OEM buses and systems.

Last edited by Carac; 11-24-2014 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0