View Single Post
      01-23-2019, 07:46 AM   #13
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So my problem is if/when I buy an EV I'd have to charge it over at my work shop where I have electricity out in the compound away from the house, which is a good minute and a half walk. Add in the 30 secs to a minute it takes to plug in (I'd keep the charger inside the shop and open the sliding barn door to fish the cable out) and that's about the same time I take to recharge my ICE at the gas station. I need a range of at least 175 miles a day, so I'd have to charge every day, so that's 4 minutes a day vs. 5 minutes every other day for my ICE BMW. Then there is the 1 and a half minute walk in the rain I'd occasionally need to do (it get's kinda muddy around here), where as the gas station is covered over the recharging station.

Hummmm....
If you're charging at home by plugging in the night before you need to drive somewhere you're better off than an ICE as you leave home every day topped up and it's probably cheaper than gas especially if you use solar not counting initial costs. I think you would save a little more time than an ICE with no lines to deal with. You can also charge the car while it's parked outside your home if you mount a charger outside. You apparently can do this though I would prefer to charge it in a garage. Not sure if there is a way to prevent other people from using your charger but it is unlikely they would pull into your driveway and do so for a couple hours.
Appreciate 0