Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
To me it just seems too inconvenient unless you are just commuting to work. I would get a plug in hybrid instead. You have to plan your day around charging the car and trying to find a charger at work. If you plan on not driving for awhile it could be a problem if the car is not plugged in. Just too impractical at this point without home charging so you always have a full charge when you leave home.
My i3 is my main commuter to work, so unless there is a plug at work, I wouldn't get an EV if I didn't have a charger at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM4MW View Post
I heard if you are using the regular socket at home it will take hours for recharge so not sure if you need to install special fast charging plug to be compatible with the cable offered by the manufacturer.
My i3 comes with one cable that fits a standard socket. It would take a day to recharge my car. However, a level 2 charger from Amazon (~$250) can do a complete charge overnight. It's perfect for commuting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So my problem is if/when I buy an EV I'd have to charge it over at my work shop where I have electricity out in the compound away from the house, which is a good minute and a half walk. Add in the 30 secs to a minute it takes to plug in (I'd keep the charger inside the shop and open the sliding barn door to fish the cable out) and that's about the same time I take to recharge my ICE at the gas station. I need a range of at least 175 miles a day, so I'd have to charge every day, so that's 4 minutes a day vs. 5 minutes every other day for my ICE BMW. Then there is the 1 and a half minute walk in the rain I'd occasionally need to do (it get's kinda muddy around here), where as the gas station is covered over the recharging station.

Hummmm....
I don't think an EV is for you. It's not for everyone. In my case, it makes perfect sense since I have a 3 car garage that will fit both my daily and my commuter i3. My level 2 charger is 2 feet from where I park my i3. With off-peak charging, I'm saving hundreds in gas and since California does not have a huge reliance on coal power, it's also much cleaner to use electricity than gasoline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
I would never buy electric or self drive car
That's up to you, but I definitely benefit from the advantages of a EV with some sort of autonomous driving technology.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0