10-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #89
jeffblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
This ^

Squat, I mean real squats with a barbell on your back and going to parallel. Doesn't matter if you have to start at 95lbs, do them right.

Deadlift, builds the most mass of ANY exercise. Avoid bouncing the weight off the ground.

Press, bench, overhead, incline,

Eat! You may need to eat 3500-4000 calories per day to gain weight.

I've retired from competition this year, but I used to be a nationally competitive strongman and placed 3rd in Arizona's Strongest Man twice. I'm 6'4" and at my highest weight in 2011 I was 346 lbs. I used to have to eat 6000-8000 calories per day just to maintain. Quite a chore to say the least. One of the main reasons I retired (besides getting old) was not having the time or willpower to keep eating so much. Now I'm a more comfortable 295lbs and eat 3500-4500 to maintain.
Beast. what was your best 1rm squat/bench/dl at what weight?

eating really is a chore... this is why i think its funny when people make it seem like maintaining some manorexic physique (or lackthereof) is difficult. its a lot harder to eat 4-5k calories a day than it is to make sure you eat less than 2 thousand. fat loss is simple math. Muscular hypertrophy and strength training is not. lift big and don't eat enough you don't get stronger (or bigger). Eat enough but dont train properly you don't get stronger (or bigger).

Also the whole trend of maintaining some ridiculously shredded physique while putting on pound of muscle every year without using drugs is such a farce. no, you don't have to become a fat fuck to get strong, but you're not gonna be ready for a bodybuilding show when your main focus is building muscle. everyone is obsessed with getting shredded now. Takes months/weeks to cut, takes YEARS to build muscle.
Appreciate 0