View Single Post
      11-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #158
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Hold on. Someone made their way into your home when your wife was working from home? That's downright scary.

Remember, you will always be able to see your cameras live if you just power them with an adapter or with a PoE switch. The NVR and the PC will only be for recording. By the way, I'd somewhat advise against getting an old PC. I did that in the beginning. These cameras are quite resource intensive, and my CPU would constantly be pegged at 100% utilization. I bought a brand new Dell XPS and loaded it up and with 9 cameras, am somewhere between 7% and 12%.
Not into the home, just standing in the front yard about 15-20ft in from the street. I live on an acre lot so he was still a ways from the house structure,but it was definitely a deliberate action. Wifey thought he maybe was walking forward towards the house but didn't remember. She had LOS to him from where she was in the kitchen and moved closer to one of the front windows of the house to get a better look at him. She thinks he saw her or her siloette from where he was. At some point after she had moved to get a closer look at him, he turned around, looked around from where he stood, and proceeded down the street and into to the subdivision behind us.

Could be a nosey neighbors not sure if someone moved in (my subdivision is mostly new construction and there are some spec homes available....plus some people are just nosey). I know some people have been curious what the blue things hanging down from some of the soffits are......they're the bundled up Cat6 cable I ran for each future camera location.

My old PC is from...2009 or 2010....6 core AMD proc w/ 8 GB of RAM, runs Photoshop and does video encoding just fine...although I've never tried both at the same time. I'll probably end up w/ a NVR for simplicity but still try my old computer for fun.

Ended up ordering 7 domes instead of a mix of domes and bullets...all being of the 2142 model. I kinda like it not being obvious where the cameras are pointed and being a little protected if someone tries to change the pointing vector w/ a stick or something. Got 6mm (qty 1, for staring more towards the end of the driveway), 2.8mm (qty for general SA at the front yard, front door, and garage), and 4mm (qty 3, for both side yards + deck entrance/half of back yard). I have a coverage gap on one side of the back yard, but only because I haven't run Eth for another camera location yet. Wrt the 6mm camera, if someone got by and made it to the garage, the camera inside will provide coverage. If I don't like the 6mm in general and want to go wider, I already know where I can repurpose it.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50